[vtkusers] Shortest route algorithms?

Rasmus Reinhold Paulsen rrp at imm.dtu.dk
Thu Sep 19 05:54:51 EDT 2002

Hi Etienne,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Etienne Labuschagne wrote:

> If I have a structured grid containing a cost for each cell, what's the best
> way to determine the least cost route from one cell to another.
>
> I am thinking along the lines of using Dijkstra's algorithm but if there is
> already something available that is implemented for VTK, I would of course
> be glad to use that!

I have implemented a Dijkstra shortest path algorithm for polydata. It is
therefore not directly usefull for your data, but perhaps you can use some
of it. I believe though that if you want state-of-the-art path finding,
level-sets and fast-marching methods are the way to go.

Look at
www.imm.dtu.dk/~rrp/VTK

for the Dijkstra class.

Regards,