[vtkusers] Passing data between VTK and NumPy.

Donna Hanlon donna at v1.wustl.edu
Wed Sep 18 13:18:56 EDT 2002

Hi Maurice,

[didn't see your original post, but saw Prabhu's response to it]

    MvdR> using NumPy(A fast Numerical Extension of python).  The
    MvdR> problem is that I don't know how to get the data from the
    MvdR> SetExecuteMethod into NumPy.  Afaik know NumPy can read from
    MvdR> strings and files.

    MvdR> Do I need to convert the data into a string?  Is there a way
    MvdR> to 'say' to NumPy where in memory the 5D-dataset starts?
    MvdR> Does someone has experience in using NumPy in combination
    MvdR> with VTK?

Have a look at David Gobbi's vtkMINCReader example.  He uses python,
Numeric, and vtk.  I found it in one of the vtkusers archives
(http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2001-July/007213.html) and
found it very helpful.  From David's 13 Jul 2001 post:

>The vtkMINCReader is available from
>ftp://ftp.irus.rri.on.ca/pub/minc/python_minc/
>and is also part of the 'atamai' package at http://www.atamai.com/

>Apologies about the ftp site, you must use active (not passive)
>ftp to access it.  #(&$(& sysadmins and their #$()*&* firewalls.
>I'll set up a better link when I get back from vacation.

Donna Hanlon

On 10 Jul 2001, Alexandre Guimond wrote:

> Nice.  Would it be possible for me to get the vtkMINCReader and
> vtkDICOMReader you reference in the code?

The vtkMINCReader is available from
ftp://ftp.irus.rri.on.ca/pub/minc/python_minc/
and is also part of the 'atamai' package at http://www.atamai.com/

Apologies about the ftp site, you must use active (not passive)
ftp to access it.  #(&$(& sysadmins and their #$()*&* firewalls.
I'll set up a better link when I get back from vacation.

 - David