[vtkusers] Building VTK with Python?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Sep 12 13:42:09 EDT 2002

    DNW> Traceback (most recent call last): File "Cone.py", line 9, in
    DNW> ?  from vtkpython import * ImportError: No module named
    DNW> vtkpython

You basically need to set your PYTHONPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
appropriately.  Read the README.txt in Wrapping/Python for
instructions.

    DNW> libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.so. As you can see I do not
    DNW> have the vtkpython.so library.

    DNW>     Is there a way to produce the missing shared library
    DNW> without rebuilding the entire packages?

There is no longer a vtkpython.so library.  Only a vtkpython.py.

    DNW>     I am on a PC/Linux (RH 7.2) platform. Has anyone built
    DNW> VTK with Python for this platform?

RPMS are available for RH7.2.  Look at the "get software" page on the
vtk page.  There are links available to unofficial nightly RPMS.

    DNW>     Also, where are the many examples for VTK Python users
    DNW> that were found in the directory examplesPython in version
    DNW> 3.2?

They have not yet been cleaned up and added to the 4.x tree.  Someone
has to take the initiative to do this.  I'll see if something can't be
done about it.

cheers,
prabhu