[vtkusers] Building VTK with Python?

Dean N. Williams williams13 at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 12 12:01:50 EDT 2002

Dear VTK Users,

    I am trying to build VTK (4.0) with Python (2.2.1) and Tcl/Tk (8.3.3).

    After 1 1/2 hours, VTK built successfully. I am now able to run the simple Tcl
    Cone.tcl example (i.e., vtk Cone.tcl). But the simple Python example
    Cone.py (i.e., python Cone.py) produces the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Cone.py", line 9, in ?
    from vtkpython import *
ImportError: No module named vtkpython

    With "cmake -i", I thought I answered all the following questions pertaining
    to building with Python. I currently have the following VTK/Python shared libraries:
    libvtkCommonPython.so, libvtkFilteringPython.so, libvtkGraphicsPython.so,
    libvtkImagingPython.so, libvtkIOPython.so, libvtkRenderingPython.so,
    libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.so. As you can see I do not have the vtkpython.so
    library.

    Is there a way to produce the missing shared library without rebuilding the entire
    packages?

    I am on a PC/Linux (RH 7.2) platform. Has anyone built VTK with Python for this platform?

    Also, where are the many examples for VTK Python users that were found in the directory
    examplesPython in version 3.2?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,
    Dean