[vtkusers] How to use PrintSelf() in Tcl and python?

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Thu Sep 5 09:32:15 EDT 2002

I can expand on the Python part a bit,

>>> print object

or to create a string containing the info

>>> text = str(object)

and the following are also useful:
>>> object = vtkTransform()
>>> object
>>> <libvtkCommonPython.vtkTransform vtkobject at 0x8182098>
>>> repr(object)
>>> '<libvtkCommonPython.vtkTransform vtkobject at 0x8182098>'

You can also list the methods of an object using
>>> dir(object)
or list the methods of a class (just the class itself, not superclasses)
>>> dir(vtkTransform)
or get documentation for a class or class method or instance method
>>> print vtkTransform.__doc__
>>> print vtkTransform.RotateWXYZ.__doc__

Prabhu also has a GUI browser for this sort of stuff in his MayaVI
package.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group