[vtkusers] vtkNightly dll's

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Oct 28 11:58:49 EST 2002

    PR>  $ cd Wrapping/Python
    PR>  $ python setup.py bdist_wininst

    JP> http://www.civil.ist.utl.pt/~moitinho/vtk/VTK-4.1.1.cvs.win32.exe

    JP> It seems to work, but needs probably some testing. I am not an
    JP> expert, but is it usefull with only the vtkXXXPython.dll's? I
    JP> was expecting that everything needed yo have a running vtk
    JP> would be there, including vtkXXXX.dll.

Nope.  Only the vtk*Python.dll's should be there.  The setup.py will
not handle all the dlls.

    JP> The (not so) bad news is that I had to use some persuasion:

    JP> - copy source/__init__.py and source/vtk.pth to build
    JP> directory - create a vtk directory with subdirectories gtk,
    JP> qt, test, tk, util and wx

That is wierd (unless of course something has changed in CVS that I
don't know about).  It should certainly include all the *.py files
with the directories etc.  Here is what it should do:

 1.  Create a directory called vtk_python in
    sys.prefix/lib/python-sys.version[:3]/site-packages.

    I'm not sure how this works under Windows though but I remember
    that someone tested it out and that it worked.

 2.  Put all the contents of Wrapping/Python inside this vtk_python
     dir.  Also put the vtkPython*.dlls into this dir.

 3.  Copy vtk.pth to
      sys.prefix/lib/python-sys.version[:3]/site-packages.

That is how the setup.py install command is supposed to work.  I
thought that the bdist_wininst should capture all that and work.  Let
me know if there are problems.

Thanks.
prabhu