[vtkusers] Can't interact remotely with binary from Cone.cxx

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) smitty at kcc.com
Fri Oct 25 19:11:47 EDT 2002

Hello vtkusers,

I just installed VTK 4.0.2, and you may've seen the problem I posted
about getting Tcl scripts to work.  I'm having a similar problem with
C++ files.  I compile Cone.cxx with these commands:

	mkdir Cone; cd Cone
	cp /contrib/vtk/VTK/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Cxx/Cone.cxx .
	vtkbuildmake Cone # Builds CMakeLists.txt, listed below, runs cmake.
	make

It compiles clean, but when I run it remotely I get the same error as
with Tcl scripts (Note that my $DISPLAY is *NOT* set to :0.0):

	bash-2.05a$ ./Cone
	Xlib: No protocol specified

The graphic of the cone displays, and slowly revolves, but there's
absolutely no interaction.  I can't rotate, zoom, move, or even get it
to recognize "q" to quit.  The mouse and keyboard don't do anything.
To stop the display I must do Ctrl-C.  All other X clients work fine,
e.g. xterm, xclock, MATLAB, Mathematica, SAS, etc.

Here's my CMakeLists.txt file (BTW cmake takes some getting used to.
Can't say I like it very much):
PROJECT (Cone)

INCLUDE (${CMAKE_ROOT}/Modules/FindVTK.cmake)
IF (USE_VTK_FILE)
  INCLUDE(${USE_VTK_FILE})
ENDIF (USE_VTK_FILE)

INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(
 /opt/vtk/Imaging/Testing/Cxx /opt/vtk/Rendering /opt/vtk/Hybrid
 /opt/vtk/Patented /opt/vtk/Parallel /opt/vtk /opt/vtk/Common
 /opt/vtk/Filtering /opt/vtk/Imaging /opt/vtk/Graphics /opt/vtk/IO
 /opt/vtk/Utilities/zlib /opt/vtk/Utilities/png /opt/vtk/Utilities/jpeg
 /opt/vtk/Common/Testing/Cxx /usr/include/python1.5
)

LINK_DIRECTORIES(
 /contrib/vtk/VTK/bin /usr/X11R6/lib
)

LINK_LIBRARIES(
 vtkRendering vtkGraphics vtkImaging vtkFiltering vtkCommon
 GL Xt SM ICE X11 Xext pthread m dl
)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(Cone Cone.cxx)

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error, please inform us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy.   Thank you.