[vtkusers] Pb building and using the STATIC libraries of VTK (CVS version)

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 22 09:35:10 EDT 2002

With static libraries the order that you link libraries is important.
Unix linkers perform only a single pass, so you want the libraries to
be in the order of using as many symbols as possible, to least number of
symbols.   For example, vtkGraphics should come before vtkCommon.  With
shared libraries, you always get the entire library so order is not a problem.
With static libraries, you only get what you need.    If you use cmake for
your project, the library ordering is maintained by cmake, and should work
for both shared and static builds.

-Bill