[vtkusers] VTK 4.0 Example C++ code does not compile!

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Oct 21 14:49:49 EDT 2002

hi,

    RH> We are finding that the C++ code for VTK 4.0 does not compile.
    RH> What are we doing wrong?

[snip]

Minor nitpick.  While its useful that you send in as much information
as you can.  Try to avoid sinding out large emails like this.  Your
mail was 40Kb long.  Multiply that into 1024 users (very likely a low
estimate) and you just generated 40MB of internet traffic!  Wow!!
Please consider snipping off what you feel are irrelevant and just
make an offer to send more information if its needed.  Getting this
right could be considered black art but its mostly common sense. :)

    RH> gcc gcc-c++ binutils kernel vtk-4.1.1-1.cvs20020925
    RH> vtk-devel-4.1.1-1.cvs20020925 gcc-2.96-112 gcc-c++-2.96-112
    RH> binutils-2.11.93.0.2-11 kernel-2.4.18-3 kernel-2.4.18-10

Ahh, this is actually VTK CVS and not VTK 4.0.  Anyway, recently the
CVS tree has been modified in order to reduce the time taken to
compile VTK (a very noble goal!:).  So for each and every class that
you use directly or indirectly, you need to explicity include the
right header files.  So in your case consider adding the following
lines to your code.

#include "vtkPolyData.h"
#include "vtkRenderer.h"
#include "vtkActor.h"

Since in your case you are compiling the VTK tests it looks like you
picked a bad day to download the RPM.  Just check out the VTK
dashboard (link on site) before you download a nightly release.  Try a
more recent (or an older one).

cheers,
prabhu

--
It was so of old, Atula. It is not just so today. They criticise him who
sits in silence, they criticise him who talks a lot. They even criticise him