[vtkusers] Cocoa with VTK

Drew McCormack cormack at chem.vu.nl
Mon Oct 21 06:21:23 EDT 2002

I am thinking about writing an introductory article about integrating
VTK into Mac OS X Cocoa apps. I think this would be a good way to
introduce Cocoa developers to VTK and help both groups of developers.

I don't want to step on any toes, so I want to give VTK developers a
chance to voice their displeasure, should there be any. I also would
like to ask if there is anyone else on the list who is utilizing VTK
directly in Cocoa apps, and if so, how they have approached it.

In this regard, I found certain problems with interactors in the Cocoa
implementation which required fixes in the form of subclassing some of
the the VTK-Cocoa classes and overriding mouse event methods. I also
found that a standalone VTK view class could be created, which doesn't
require the Cocoa developer to explicitly type their windows as
vtkCocoaWindows. I was wondering how other Cocoa developers have dealt
with these and other Cocoa-related issues.

Drew

  Dr. Drew McCormack (Kmr. R153)
  Afd. Theoretische Chemie
  Faculteit Exacte Wetenschappen