[vtkusers] vtkRenderWindowInteractor + Tkinter.Tk

Theodore D. Sternberg tdsternberg at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 18 10:02:49 EDT 2002

How would one write a Python version of
Graphics/Testing/Tcl/TransformConcatenation.tcl?  That is, I want to have
a vtkRenderWindowInteractor *and*, separately, a Tk root window both
active, in the same process.

The problem with doing this in Python is that (as far as I know) you are
forced to call both vtkRenderWindowInteractor.Start() and
Tkinter.Tk.mainloop() -- and either one prevents the Python interpreter
from executing any subsequent lines in the .py file.

I've tried spinning threads, but the vtkRenderWindowInteractor seems to
starve all other threads.

I am trying to avoid vtkTkRenderWidget.  It dumps core on a lot of systems
(when using Python, and I've tried the tricks -- setting
VTK_TK_WIDGET_PATH, copying vtkTkRenderWidget into /usr/lib, configuring
--with-shared).

Ted Sternberg
Applied Numerical Algorithms Group
National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory