[vtkusers] restrictions of the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper ?

Steffen Oeltze Steffen.Oeltze at Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Oct 15 06:27:23 EDT 2002

Dear VTK-users,

I just read in my May2001 edition of The VTK-users guide that the
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper supports only VTK_UNSIGNED_SHORT data and
that the vtkVolumeProMapper supports only 8 or 12 bit data.
Why is that and has something changed in the meanwhile concerning
these restrictions ?
I got curious because the AddRGBPoint(...)-method of the
vtkColorTransferFunction allows the scalar value to be of data type
float which makes no sense to me since the data values of the volume
are required to be VTK_UNSIGNED_SHORT.

Steffen