[vtkusers] Re: VTK on mac OSX (10.2.2) - compiling...

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Thu Nov 21 12:40:55 EST 2002

Hello,

I've made another attempt at getting VTK up and running with MacOS X 10.2.2, but I am getting quite a few cmake errors trying to configure the library. I'm not trying to use Java or TCL bindings, but it seems as if the configure scripts are requesting those anyway. It appears that cmake is searching for libpthreads rather than libpthread. I am trying to compile for Cocoa rather than Carbon, so I'm not sure if that's causing a conflict--freetype seems to want Carbon headers, for example. I have the latest CVS version, so that could be an issue too. I have included the output of the CMakeError.log below. Do I need to try to make changes to the configuration files so that VTK can compile properly under MacOS X 10.2.2?

Chris

--

Determining if the function shmat exists in the ipc failed with the following output:
Building object file CheckFunctionExists.o...

Determining if the include file sys/prctl.h exists failed with the following output:
Building object file CheckIncludeFile.o...
/Volumes/cybertron/Users/css/code/VTK/CMakeTmp/CheckIncludeFile.c:1: header file 'sys/prctl.h' not found
cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode
make: *** [CheckIncludeFile.o] Error 1

Determining if the function gethostbyname exists in the nsl failed with the following output:
Building object file CheckFunctionExists.o...
Building executable cmTryCompileExec...
ld: can't locate file for: -lnsl
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1

Determining if the function connect exists in the socket failed with the following output:
Building object file CheckFunctionExists.o...
Building executable cmTryCompileExec...
ld: can't locate file for: -lsocket
make: *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1

Determining if the function pthread_create exists in the pthreads failed with the following output:
Building object file CheckFunctionExists.o...
Building executable cmTryCompileExec...
ld: can't locate file for: -lpthreads
[...]

Chris Scharver
Electronic Visualization Laboratory