[vtkusers] Detailed Volume Rendering Questions

Stephen Reilly stephen.reilly at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 18 11:38:20 EST 2002

Dear VTK-Users,

I am, at present, writing a new reader which will take in the colour data and present them to the volume renderer to allow it to render the data. What I have noticed (and confirmed by this mail-list) is that the volume renderer is not able to handle data with more than one component.

However, I now have some questions about the volume rendering process:

1) If I cast the image (using vtkImageCast) into unsigned ints instead of unsigned char/short, nothing is displayed, why is this? Is it due to the renderer, or the volume mapper?

2) If I supply the correct colour and opacity transforms based on those ints (and returning unsigned chars) will the renderer still show nothing? Will the transform be given those ints, or will they be cast into chars/shorts in the mapper?

3) I have been assuming that the renderer is only supplied with the output of the transforms (the unsigned chars) is this correct?

Thank you for any help you can give,
Stephen