[vtkusers] Clipping planes

James C. Robinson j.robinson at kepler.ie
Mon Nov 18 10:41:58 EST 2002

John,

I still haven't resolved the clipping plane problem. If I turn off the auto
adjust clipping plane and try to do it myself it is clunky during rotation,
zooming etc. The problem is that the near clipping plane is being set to be
a minimum of 10% of the far clipping value. This seems like a strange
approach in that it must result in the problem that I am having for a lot of
situations. It strikes me that the easiest way to resolve this would be that
the object would have a protected float minClippingNearPlaneFactor that
would be 10% by default, but that could be adjusted via a public method.
This value would then be used in ResetClippingRange. It would allow people
in my situation to override the default but result in no flickering etc.

Related to this is the fact that the zoom speed (and pan speed) seem to be
affected by a similar factor. As I zoom in closer, the dolly speed slows
down dramatically (as does the pan speed). If I remove all props, save one
that is the size of the volume to which I want to zoom and then ResetCamera,
then the zoom (and pan) speed are increased and the view manipulation is
improved. Is there any flag, value that controls this?

Regards,

Jim

______________________

James C. Robinson, PhD,