[vtkusers] Tensor Ellipsoids

Mecit Yaman yaman at myhorizon.org
Sat Nov 9 17:30:54 EST 2002

Dear VTK Users,

I am trying to visualize stress tensor data from an experiment using VTK.I would greatly appreciate if anyone can give me any suggestion about how to do the follwoing with VTK.

1. Read an ASCII file of tensor data (which will look like this.)

x    y    z    s11    s12    s13    s21    s22    s33
0    0    0    0        0        0        0        0        0
0    0    1    0        0        0        1        0        0
0    0    2    0        0        0        0        1        1
0    0    3    0        0        0        1        1        1
0    1    0    0        0        1        1        0        0
0    1    1    0        0        2        1        0        1
0    1    2    0        0        3        2        4        0
etc..

2. Draw ellipsoids on the x-y-z coordinate by using the tensor components sij.

I would greatly appreciate if you can provide any help.

M Yaman
PhD student, UCT
Cape Town