[vtkusers] Any examples of using Pieces?

Lee A. Butler butler at ARL.ARMY.MIL
Fri Nov 8 00:00:25 EST 2002

On 6 Nov 2002, Berk Geveci wrote:

> > For example, I've got a dataset which is all of the parts of a vehicle.  I'd
> > like to specify that these triangles are the brake, and those are the steering
> > wheel, and then select one or the other or both for display.
> >
> > The only alternative seems to be to create a really large number of actors,
> > each of which represents a single "part" of the vehicle.  That seems less
> > desireable.
>
> It sounds like you have to use a separate actor for each object possibly
> in combination with assemblies. How many parts are there on average ?
> Having a large number of actors usually reduces performance but
> there are ways of getting around this.

About 1000.   Each of them only contains a few (< 30) polys. I need to be able
to turn individual ones on/off fast.  The rendering is fast if I put them all
in a single actor.  If I create an actor for each part (so I can display/hide
them) the rendering crawls to a near halt.

Lee