[vtkusers] Just trying to draw a simple volume and need help.

Alex Lear alear at cns.montana.edu
Tue Nov 5 16:54:45 EST 2002

I know someone out there can help because this should be so simple.  I am
trying to view my 3d point data (100x100x100) as a volume.  Since I have
upgraded to vtk 4.0 my biggest problem is switching from vtkScalars to
vtkDataArray.  This is what I am doing now to test and the problem is below:

    vtkUnsignedCharArray *Scalars = vtkUnsignedCharArray::New();
    Scalars->SetNumberOfValues (1000000);
    for (i=0;i<1000000;i++)
	{
	Scalars->InsertNextValue(128);
	}
    vtkStructuredPoints *sPoints = vtkStructuredPoints::New();
    sPoints->SetDimensions(100,100,100);
    sPoints->GetPointData()->SetScalars(Scalars));

The real problem is here, the scalars are still set at 0 instead of 128 after
the SetScalars function.  I have adjusted my opacity transfer function and
found out that all the values are 0.  I have tried to trim this example down
to just the necessary parts in question.  I have used unsigned chars in this
example but I would like to get floats working also.  The only examples I can
find still use the old vtkScalars unfortunately.

Like I said before, this should be easy which is the most frustrating part.
I welcome any help you can give.  Even code chucks from a working program
would be of help.  Thanks so much!

Alex