[vtkusers] installation problems

Torbjørn Lindahl lindahl at stud.ntnu.no
Tue Nov 5 11:38:10 EST 2002

Hi list,

I have been using vtk with python on linux for some time now, but the
application I am working on should ideally be platform independent.

So I am now trying to install a complete Python2.2 with vtk40 and qt3.0.5
system on a Win XP machine. And it just won't work!

I have done the following:
1) installed python2.2
2) installed Qt and PyQt

--it works so far--

3) installed vtk40core

--not tested--

4) installed python wrapper for vtk40

--end

There seems to be several steps involved in importing vtk into python, the
vtk.__init__ loads several kits in python.

I have tried using Les Schafer dll-files, without success.
All environment variables are set correctly.

I have the following error messages:

*) python21.dll does not exist (the "cone.py" example, I thought Les
Schafer's files should work for this problem?)

*) it fails to load classes from dll's provided, although it clearly
accesses the right dll files.

If someone has installed vtk + python before, could you please write a
stepwise installation guide?

Regards,
Torbjørn Lindahl