[vtkusers] isosurface from an implicit model..

K.R.Subramanian krs at cs.uncc.edu
Thu May 23 17:07:21 EDT 2002

I have a structured points dataset (discretization of an implicit model).
I extract the isosurface at 0.0 to extract the boundary.  It seems like
there are two surfaces very close to each other in the extracted surface. When I
use vtkMassProperties to measure the volume and surface area, they are
very close to nearly being 2 times the original object's measures. I tried this
on a simple sphere as well as a CT dataset.

Then I looked at the wireframe model of it and I notice there are pairs of
edges between all vertices, and very close to each other, suggesting a double
surface..

How is that possible? The scalars, of course range from negative (outside)
to positive (inside) values..

Thanks.

    -- krs

--
K.R.Subramanian                        Phone: (704) 687-4872
Department of Computer Science         FAX:   (704) 687-4893
UNC Charlotte, CARC 311                Email: krs at cs.uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001               Web: http://www.cs.uncc.edu/~krs