[vtkusers] questions about vtkCutter and vtkPlane

Shwu Ping Vong svong at email.arc.nasa.gov
Tue May 21 18:01:15 EDT 2002

Hi vtkusers,

I have been experimenting with vtkCutter and vtkPlane using
'ironProt.vtk' as the input data set.  I can get cross-sections of data
displaying on a plane ( some patterns in black and white ).  I am just
wondering if there is any way to make more sense out of the
cross-sections, for example, can I warp the plane somehow?  ( I tried to
pass the  output from vtkCutter to a vtkWarpScalar to display it.
Instead of getting a 'carpet-like' result showing height fields like
that from a contour plot, I got the patterns all messed up and some
parts elongated to the side. )   So I am thinking maybe I can't warp it
after all?  If I can't, how can I display the result in terms of
contouring?

Another question : for now I am just changing the input parameters of
SetOrigin and SetNormal for vtkPlane to slice different parts of the
data set.  It might be another crazy idea -- but can I just use the
mouse to slice the data set?  ( like if I were to render a brain on the
screen, can I just use my mouse to draw a virtual line across the screen
and get a cross-section as an output? )

Thanks in advance,
Shwuping Vong