[vtkusers] Python and VTK under Linux

Brian White brian.white at altarum.org
Tue May 21 16:33:06 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I'm new to the VTK world so please bear with me if this is a newbie
question.  I'm installing VTK on a Linux x86 running kernel 2.4.18,
Python 2.2, Tcl and Tk 8.3.3.  I finally got it to build (there were a
few false starts).  I am most interested in using the Python interface.
When I try to run the demo program Cone.py located in
Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Python I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Cone.py", line 9, in ?
    from vtkpython import *
  File "/src/vtk/v4.0/Wrapping/Python/vtkpython.py", line 29, in ?
    exec "from "+kit_name+" import *"
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/vtk/libvtkCommonPython.so: undefined symbol:
PyType_IsSubtype

When I run "nm" on the .so reported sure enough that symbol is listed as
undefined. Has anyone else run into this problem?  Am I configuring
before the build incorrectly somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.  I will summarize the
results once they're in.

Thanks again.

Brian White
Altarum Institute