[vtkusers] Java vtkPanel

Peter Parente parenp at alum.rpi.edu
Mon May 20 19:07:37 EDT 2002

Hi,

I'm having problems working with the vtkPanel class that is included with
the precompiled Java package for Windows. User interaction within the window
works fine, but when I try to programmatically move the active camera the
visual is not updated. I am calling the Render() method for the panel and I
can see that the render events are occuring using an observer, but the
actual image in the Java window is not updated.

I know that I can get around this problem by simply using a vtkRenderWindow
within Java, but I'm really using Java for it's GUI building capabilities. I
would really like to use vtkPanel or a class like it as my render window
within a JFrame that also houses some GUI elements.

If anyone can help, please let me know. I can also provide source code if it
is requested, although what I've done is nearly identical to the SimpleVTK
example provided with the vtkPanel class. All I've added to this example is
a loop at the end of the program that rotates the active camera by 180
degrees and calls the vtkPanel render function.

Thanks,
Peter Parente