[vtkusers] VTK 4.0 on SGI IRIX

Boyd Merworth merworth at tacc.utexas.edu
Wed May 15 11:54:42 EDT 2002

Hi Prabhu,

Thank you very much for this tip about the shared libraries.  I was building
static libraries, which seem to be build by default:

	//Build VTK with shared libraries.
	BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=OFF

I changed this to "ON", rebuilt and reinstalled the VTK code and so far,
I have been able to run Cone.py in the Exapmles directory.

--Boyd

On May 10,  8:53am, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
} Subject: [vtkusers] VTK 4.0 on SGI IRIX

 >    milagros-> ./Cone.py
 >    BM> Traceback (most recent call last): File "./Cone.py", line 9,
 >    BM> in ?  from vtkpython import * File
 >    BM> "/home/utexas/staff/merworth/src/VTK4.0/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkpython.py",
 >    BM> line 29, in ?  exec "from "+kit_name+" import *" File
 >    BM> "<string>", line 1, in ?  ImportError: 649254:python: rld:
 >    BM> Fatal Error: unresolvable symbol in
 >    BM> /lusr/lib/vtk/libvtkFilteringPython.so:
 >    BM> FindClosestNPoints__17vtkPointLocator2DGifT2P9vtkIdList
 >    milagros->
 >
 >    BM> I have PYTHONPATH set to:
 >
 >    BM> PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/wxPython:/home/utexas/staff/merworth/src/VTK4.0/VTK/Wrapping/Python:/lusr/lib/vtk:/lusr/lib/python2.2
 >
 >I hope you have build the libraries as shared libraries.  I think
 >building the VTK libraries as static libraries causes some trouble or
 >the other with Python's dynamic loading of modules.
 >
 >If you have built all the libraries shared then have you set the
 >LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to where the libvtk*.so's are?
 >
 >Good luck!
 >prabhu

}-- End of excerpt from Prabhu Ramachandran