[vtkusers] Pondering about the vtkContourFilter

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Tue May 14 13:02:23 EDT 2002

Hi All,

After my recent change to VTK 4.0, I started attaching multiple scalars to
each vtkPointSet that is loaded into the system here, instead of creating a
new pointset for each one.  This has been great for the general
architecture of our system, the one problem I had was if two different
pipelines latched onto the the same pointset, but wanted different scalar
fields contoured (i.e. an iso-surface of density, and an iso-surface of
pressure), there was still the problem that both pipelines needed their own
pointset so that they could set their own current scalar.

Instead of setting things up that way, I changed the vtkContourFilter to
add an extra function that specifies an arbitrary array to use for
contouring instead of the default scalar.  This seems to work out very
nicely, and I was wondering if people thought that would be a good addition
to vtkContourFilter (and any other filter that uses scalar or vector fields
to build... stream lines?...) ?  Is there a specific reason that I haven't
thought of why this wasn't done?  Is there already a way to do it that I
haven't thought of?  Will we see peace in our time?

Thoughts?

Kevin.