[vtkusers] wxVTKRenderWindow + vtk3DWidget + vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Mon May 13 08:42:56 EDT 2002

Dear VTKers,

I'm trying to use vtk3DWidgets with the wxVTKRenderWindow.  Because the
wxVTKRenderWindow doesn't make use of a RenderWindowInteractor at all, using
interactor styles or vtk3DWidgets is not possible by default.  However, some
kind soul wrote vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor to remedy this problem (I
think).

Now, I tried to setup a vtkPlaneWidget (in Python) to use with the
wxVTKRenderWindow.  Following an extract:

# cur_pipe['vtkActor3'] is an actor which has already been added to a renderer
# self._rws[0] is the wxVTKRenderWindow that we're working with
pw = vtk.vtkPlaneWidget()
pw.SetProp3D(cur_pipe['vtkActor3'])
pw.PlaceWidget()
rwi = vtk.vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor()
rwi.SetRenderWindow(self._rws[0].GetRenderWindow())
pw.SetInteractor(rwi)
pw.On()

The problem is that at the line pw.SetInteractor(rwi) I get:
14:32:02:     pw.SetInteractor(rwi)
14:32:02:  ValueError: method requires a vtkRenderWindowInteractor, a
vtkGenericRenderWindowInteractor was provided.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could go about to fix this?

I've been thinking of writing a real wxwindows vtk RenderWindowInteractor
(in the style of cpbotha.net/vtkFlRenderWindowInteractor) and wrap that.
However, I'd prefer using the available code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Charl