[vtkusers] Picking without an Interactor

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Thu May 9 23:29:15 EDT 2002

At 5/9/2002 11:15 PM, Chih-Wei Chiu wrote:
>Is it possible to perform pick without using an interactor?

Yes, use one of the vtkAbstractPicker subclasses
http://public.kitware.com/VTK/doc/nightly/html/classvtkAbstractPicker.html

Check the picking code in vtkInteractorStyle::OnChar() for a starter.

>Because I use Tk to build my own GUI, and if I use an interactor, the GUI
>will freeze.

This has changed, you can now use the whole interactor and interactor style
framework within Tk, through the use of a vtkGenericRenderWindow. All Tk
bindings as well as the Tk examples have been updated to reflect this change

Bindings;
         VTK/Wrapping/Tcl/vtkinteraction/
Examples
         VTK/Examples/GUI
as well as all Tcl scripts using vtkTkRenderWidget (see Examples and Tests
sections in:
http://public.kitware.com/VTK/doc/nightly/html/classvtkTkRenderWidget.html

Hope this helps

--