[vtkusers] vtk4.0, java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit

Stephen R. Saucier ssauci1 at umbc.edu
Tue May 7 12:10:31 EDT 2002

hello,
  I apologize if this question has been brought up before. I tried to
search the mailing list archives but unfortunately the search engine was
not working for me. Browsing manually through the last couple months did
not yield any results, so I will go ahead and ask:

I am using java jdk1.3.1_02 with the vtk4.0 release (not a nightly build).
I have a java program which is reading in an xml file which I use to
describe what data files I want vtk to read, as well as some other
parameters.

Basically, I read in the xml file and it gives me a list of filenames, and
from this I create a set of vtkDataSetReaders to read in each of the
files. When I do so, java is throwing an exception like the following:
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit
	at vtk.vtkDataSetReader.VTKInit(Native Method)
	at vtk.vtkObject.<init>(vtkObject.java:97)
	at vtk.vtkProcessObject.<init>(vtkProcessObject.java:86)
	at vtk.vtkSource.<init>(vtkSource.java:86)
	at vtk.vtkDataReader.<init>(vtkDataReader.java:239)
	at vtk.vtkDataSetReader.<init>(vtkDataSetReader.java:50)
	[more lines follow]

here are (summarized) lines of interest within my program:
vtkDataSetReader[] readers = new vtkDataSetReader[numberOfFiles];
for( int i = 0; i < numberOfFiles; i++ ) {
  readers[i] = new vtkDataSetReader( );
}

the line in which I call 'new vtkDataSetReader( )' is the line throwing
the exception.

when instead of creating the vtkDataSetReaders dynamically I manually
create them and list the files I want them to read, everything works fine.
However, It is not a solution in my case for me to specify the files in
the source and create the necessary number of vtkDataSetReaders as the
number of files as well as the files themselves are not static.

I actually had a problem like this before, and I somehow solved it or
otherwise avoided it, but that is not helping me out now that I am finding
the problem again. I have a feeling that it has something to do with vtk
initialization, and things ending up happening out of order. I remember
that when I had the problem previously, shuffling seemingly unrelated
instructions seemed to solve the problem, but that is not a possibility
here as there are no other instructions getting executed between when I
create the array and when I initialize the individual elements.

Thanks for any help that you can provide;
if you need any more information I might be able to provide it, however
including code is difficult because already I have several files which
make up quite a few lines, and that is not really feasible to attach to an
email.

Stephen Saucier