[vtkusers] Colour iso-surface by another variable

Philip Morris Jones philip at cd.co.uk
Fri May 3 05:29:23 EDT 2002

Hi

I am creating an isosurface of some results using

 vtkContourFilter *iso = vtkContourFilter::New();
 iso->SetInput( ProMesh->GetOutput() );

but once I have the isosurface I want to colour it by another variable. I am
presently doing this using

  vtkProbeFilter *probe = vtkProbeFilter::New();
  probe->SetInput(iso->GetOutput() );
  probe->SetSource(ProCol->GetOutput() );
  vtkCastToConcrete *cast2 = vtkCastToConcrete::New();
  cast2->SetInput(probe->GetOutput() );

Then I take the output from cast2 to render it.

I am using two vtkUnstructuredGridReader, one sets the variable to contour
by:

ProMesh->SetScalarsName("VMAG");

and the other to colour by:

ProCol->SetScalarsName("PRES");

My data is an unstructured grid with point data. I am told that there is a
better way to do this using AddArray but can find no examples of such. Is
there anyone who can shed some light on this?

regards

Philip

Philip M. Jones                 Fax:    +44 (0)20 7471 6201
MA, MSc, MIMechE, CEng          Tel:    +44 (0)20 7471 6200
New Technology Consultant       e-mail: philip at cd.co.uk