[vtkusers] Bizarre Python Errors

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed May 1 00:03:03 EDT 2002

    MR> Sorry about the ignorance here, but how do you do that? I'm no
    MR> expert on any of this. Started using unix a few months ago,
    MR> honestly. Is there something within the VTK compile scripts
    MR> that I need to change, or can I use my existing build and
    MR> alter the library? Here's a directory listing (there's no
    MR> libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.o or
    MR> libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.c to use for their cryptic
    MR> code.o, source.o, code.c, source.c distinctions). . . .

    MR> Thanks for all of your help. Hope this works.

    MR> [localhost:local/vtk/VTK] root# cd /usr/local/lib/vtk/
    MR> [localhost:local/lib/vtk] root# ls libvtkCommon.a
    MR> libvtkImaging.a libvtkCommonPython.so libvtkImagingPython.so
    MR> libvtkCommonTCL.a libvtkImagingTCL.a libvtkFiltering.a
    MR> libvtkRendering.a libvtkFilteringPython.so
    MR> libvtkRenderingPython.so libvtkFilteringTCL.a
    MR> libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib libvtkGraphics.a
    MR> libvtkRenderingTCL.a libvtkGraphicsPython.so libvtkjpeg.a
    MR> libvtkGraphicsTCL.a libvtkpng.a libvtkIO.a libvtkzlib.a
    MR> libvtkIOPython.so tcl libvtkIOTCL.a [localhost:local/lib/vtk]
    MR> root#

Well I'm a little confused here.  How come libvtkImaging.a is not a
shared library?  However from your earlier posts it appears that this
setup works, so lets not break it.

Anyway, to see how the libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidget.dylib is built go
to your build directory and remove the
libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib file.  Also remove the
Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.o (it will be in the Rendering
directory).

Now simply cd to the base of your build dir and then run make again.
You will see the command used to compile the
Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.o and the
libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib.  Save the contents of make's
output to a file.  Now check to see if the
Rendering/vtkTkRenderWidgetPython.o is compiled with a -fno-common in
it somewhere.  I guess that it will be.  If not just cd to the
Rendering directory cut/paste the saved compile command, add a
-fno-common and recompile.

Also check to see if the libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.dylib is
compiled with -bundle or -dynamiclib.  If you see -dynamiclib then
replace it with -bundle, recompile the library alone and see what
happens.

This shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

Let the list know how it goes.

prabhu