[vtkusers] Need for spherical to cartesian nonlinear transformation.

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Thu Mar 21 11:54:25 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Roland Schwarz wrote:

> Thank you again,
>
> it worked.
>
> But could you please give me your rationale for the specific ordering of the
> spherical coordinates?
> I might consider adopting your ordering.
>
> As a matter of facts my ordering is opposite:
> Namely radius, azimuth angle [0..360 deg], polar angle[0..180 deg]

The order I used was just the order given in my 1st year calculus
text.

> Is this because the local system, that is defined by the derivative is right
> handed in your case?

Nothing so deep as that.  What I'll do is check through the VTK classes
to see if spherical coordinates are used anywhere else, and ensure that
the vtkShericalTransform agrees with the conventions use in the rest
of VTK.

> Thank you for your effort.

You're very welcome.

 - David