[vtkusers] Best visualisation tool

Brett Morgan bmorgan at astro.swin.edu.au
Mon Mar 4 18:19:37 EST 2002

Hullo. I am a newbie to the world of scientific visualisation.
I am trying to find the best visualisation tools to create an
"accurate" interactive 3D model of the Milky Way galaxy based
on existing astronomical galactic star field observational
datasets (e.g. the Hipparcos catalogue). The datasets will
be of the order of a few Terabytes in size. Access to the
model will be via a Web interface. Its primary purpose is
for tertiary level astronomical education. The user will
be able to explore different parts of the Galaxy,
seeing realistic visualisations, and perform simple
astronomical experiments. A "Beowulf" UNIX workstation
cluster supercomputer will be creating the visualisations.
Any advice is appreciated. Sorry to be a pest.
I plead ignorance.
Thanks, Brett Morgan.