[vtkusers] vtkStreamer and vtkFunctionSet

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jun 20 13:19:58 EDT 2002

    LA> Hi Berk, (sorry for the repeated message, I wasn't sure about
    LA> mail delivery) I needed to track massless particles in a
    LA> time-varying pulsatile CFD simulation of blood vessels.  I did
    LA> it by first writing a vtkInterpolatedTransientVelocityField,

[snip]

    LA> vtkStreakLine class which slightly generalize their steady
    LA> couterparts.  If you want I can send you the code of the three
    LA> classes.  Thanks for consideration

Sounds great!  Would be nice if this code were part of VTK.  Quite a
while ago there was talk of creating a more advanced data file format
for VTK that would support more features.  There was also talk of
streak lines etc.  Here are a few thoughts I've had.  They are still
thoughts and I'm not going to have time to implement anything either.
Effectively this is a wish list.  Just in case someone is listening.

 1. A slightly more intelligent VTK file.  Maybe an additional file
 format that allows for a more flexible syntax with scope for multiple
 datasets, something like a #include  etc.

 2. I guess Luca's classes handle integration over time.  So that
 should be already done.

 3. The ablity to use zipped VTK files.  Would this be useful or are
 binary files good enough?  Now that zlib is distributed as part of
 VTK this should not be a problem to implement.

cheers,
prabhu