[vtkusers] Installation

Gavin Tabor G.R.Tabor at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 06:55:44 EDT 2002

Dear All,

I've managed to correctly compile VTK4 to produce a static library (.a)
which seems to work fine. I wanted to change this to produce a shared
object library, so I reran cmake -i, and then make'd the result. What I
got was the following error message :

cmake.depends is up-to-date
rm -f libvtkzlib.so
/usr/local/bin/g++  -shared -fPIC -shared -nostdlib -fPIC -g -O2 -o
/space/VTK/bin/libvtkzlib.so  adler32.o gzio.o inftrees.o uncompr.o
compress.o infblock.o infutil.o zutil.o crc32.o infcodes.o deflate.o
inffast.o inflate.o trees.o  -L/space/VTK/bin/ -lpthread -ldl -lm
-Wl,-R,/space/VTK/bin/
Text relocation remains                 	referenced
     against symbol		    offset	in file
<unknown>                           0xe94     	infblock.o
<unknown>                           0xe98     	infblock.o
<unknown>                           0xe9c     	infblock.o
<unknown>                           0xea0     	infblock.o

... a lot of similar message, then

.umul                               0x350     	trees.o
.umul                               0x458     	trees.o
ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable sections
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [/space/VTK/bin/libvtkzlib.so] Error 1
make[4]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[3]: *** [default_target_zlib] Error 2
make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
make[1]: *** [default_target_Utilities] Error 2
make: *** [default_target] Error 2

I think this is to do with not setting the correct flags under cmake.
Can someone tell me what I need to set for this? I am using gcc/g++
under solaris.

My thanks for any help.

Gavin

--

Dr. Gavin Tabor
School of Engineering and Computer Science