[vtkusers] VTK and Python 2.3

Robb Brown brownr at ucalgary.ca
Mon Jun 10 18:16:29 EDT 2002

I have VTK working with python 2.2 but when I try to use it with 2.3
I get undefined symbols.  I noticed something similar happening with
other packages and the problem was resolved by recompiling these
other packages.  Recompiling VTK did not resolve the problem.  Here
is the error (Python 2.3 built from CVS and VTK build from a CVS
about a month ago):

>>>  from vtkpython import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/vtkpython.py",
line 7, in ?
     from vtk import *
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/vtk/__init__.py",
line 8, in ?
     from filtering import *
   File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/vtk/filtering.py",
line 7, in ?
     from libvtkFilteringPython import *
ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld:
/Applications/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/python Undefined symbols:
_PyArg_VTKParseTuple
_PyVTKClass_Check
_PyVTKClass_New
_PyVTKClass_vtkCollectionNew