[vtkusers] vtkPanel, Java 1.3 to 1.4, Win2k

Budd Hirons bhiron at lsuhsc.edu
Wed Jul 31 16:55:05 EDT 2002

Hello,

	I am trying out vtk in Java on Win2k.

	I've been reading about this vtkPanel all day and hopefully someone can
help me out.  I downloaded and have been playing with vtk4.0, but it lacks
the vtkPanel object.  Searching the web and the CVS I find several versions
of vtkPanel over the course of the last year and a half:  upto v1.15
required java 1.3 or earlier, these versions of vtkPanel relied on APIs
that have been deprecated by Sun.  from the new vtkPanel v1.1 in the CVS it
is packaged into vtk, three months ago, and I am assuming (uh-oh) that it
will work with java 1.4x
	So, since vtkPanel does not seem to be in the vtk4.0 on the software page,
I download the nightly (~ v4.1.1) and immediately catch a bug (see below)
which isn't unexpected because I did try it on the nightly build, so bugs
are expected.  See "image read error", same date as this post.

My question is for guidance.  If someone is using vtkPanel with java 1.3 or
java 1.4, which version of vtk are you using and which version of vtkPanel
are you using?   I'll build it if I have to, but reinventing the wheel
seems silly, and I only just heard of CMake about two weeks ago.  When are
there plans to release a stable build (like a 4.1) that has vtkPanel
packaged in vtk?

Aside from that, I am in awe with the vtk package over all, and commend all
those responsible.  Thanks in advance for your advice.

Budd.