[vtkusers] Isosurface: Multiple Contours?? Outer Surface?? my Solution

R T doctorart at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 26 23:45:38 EDT 2002

Hello all,
thanks for your help,
the following below worked for me:
(I pre-processed image data and
then used connectivity filter)
The question stays still (at least for me):

how to get boundary faces from a polyhedral mesh?
or how to get rid of interior in a closed-surface triangular mesh?
how to extract a mesh of certain thickness?

vtkImageData *id = ReadDatFile(argv[1]);//my C Function--never mind

vtkImageThreshold *thresh=vtkImageThreshold::New();
	thresh->SetInput(id);
        thresh->ThresholdByUpper(60);
	thresh->SetInValue(255);
	thresh->SetOutValue(0);
	thresh->ReleaseDataFlagOff();

vtkImageLaplacian *il=vtkImageLaplacian::New();
	il->SetInput(thresh->GetOutput());
	il->SetDimensionality(3);

vtkImageIslandRemoval2D *island=vtkImageIslandRemoval2D::New();
	island->SetInput(il->GetOutput());
	island->SetIslandValue(0);
	island->SetReplaceValue (255);
	island->SetAreaThreshold(2500);
	island->SquareNeighborhoodOn();

vtkContourFilter *cf = vtkContourFilter::New();
	cf->SetInput(island->GetOutput());
       cf->SetValue(0,255);
vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter *con=vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter::New();
	con->SetInput(cf->GetOutput());
	con->SetExtractionModeToLargestRegion();
vtkPolyDataMapper *headMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
	headMapper->SetInput(con->GetOutput());