[vtkusers] CMake 1.4

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Jul 26 17:11:44 EDT 2002

Hello Folks,

We have released CMake version 1.4 (patch 1). This version of CMake
includes a number of syntax improvements from version 1.2. It also
includes support for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET. Some of the
commands in CMake 1.2 we recommend you not use anymore. If you specify

CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED(VERSION 1.4)

at the top of your CMake list file these old commands will produce
deprecated warnings. Otherwise they should mostly still work. Two
significant changes in CMake 1.4 are support for lists and variable
expansion. We now recommend a syntax of:

SET (MY_SRC_FILES foo.cxx foo2.cxx foo3.cxx)
ADD_LIBRARY(MyLib ${MY_SRC_FILES})

In this example, MY_SRC_FILES is a list, its actual representation is
strings separated by ;. So the following command is equivalent:

SET(MY_SRC_FILES foo.cxx;foo2,cxx;foo3.cxx)

Also if a variable is not defined it will now be replaced with
nothing, in the past an undefined variable was not replaced. If you
run into problems with the 1.4 release of have questions don't
hesitate to ask.

Thanks
Ken

Ken Martin, PhD