[vtkusers] Mac OSX Build problems..

Yves Starreveld ystarrev at uwo.ca
Sat Jul 20 10:31:33 EDT 2002

Bill is correct.

X stuff should not be enabled (unless you are building for X11, and have
installed XDarwin on your machine)

If you just run CMake, it is automatically set up to build for Carbon,
and link in the correct frameworks.

You can change the VTK_USE_CARBON to OFF and VTK_USE_COCOA to ON, and
then run CMake again, and it should build correctly for Cocoa. You can't
use Tk then, however. (tcl should be ok, just not Tk)

You can only build for one of these (Cocoa, Carbon, or X11) at a time.

There appear to be some problems if you build for one, then switch to
another and build again. If you do this, you should throw out your build
directory first, then continue.

I have pilfered a 'naked' mac here, and will test builds for Cocoa and
for Carbon from scratch on this machine, and am setting up atamai to do
nightly builds for each as well.

Rumor has it that with release of 10.2 (Aug 24) Carbon/Cocoa integration
will be less of an issue, and Tk may actually improve significantly as
well. I'm sure lots of other things will break, though....

Yves