[vtkusers] extract verticies from polydata

Matt and Elizabeth Kay mandekay at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 15:40:08 EDT 2002

Hi All-

I have a vtkPolyData called 'spoly'. I would like to
extract from spoly the vertex positions of each
polygon in the dataset and save them in a float array
called 'verticies'. Polygons are triangles. Here is a
segment of my code:

float **verticies;int i, numverts, numcells;

vtkSphereSource *sphere = vtkSphereSource::New();
   sphere->SetRadius(1);
   sphere->Update();

vtkPolyData *spoly=sphere->GetOutput();
numverts=spoly->GetNumberOfPoints();
numcells=spoly->GetNumberOfCells();
verticies=(float **)malloc((unsigned
int)numcells*sizeof(float*));
for (i=0;i<numcells;++i){
  verticies[i]=(float *)malloc(3*sizeof(float));}
Now I want something like this, but of course this
doesn't work:

for (i=0;i<numcells;++i){
  points[i][0] spoly->GetVertex(i,0);
  points[i][1] spoly->GetVertex(i,1);