[vtkusers] Problem using Python VTK Pipeline Browser

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jul 10 11:20:44 EDT 2002

hi,

    JM> I'am trying to use the Mayavi python interface with vtk 4.0.
    JM> I'am working on an Solaris 2.8 with python 2.2.  All the vtk
    JM> python test files (and examples) run fine
    JM> ("...vtk-4.0/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Python/Cone.py" and
    JM> "...vtk-4.0/Graphics/Testing/Python/*.py").  but when I try to
    JM> use Mayavi, the is the following problem...

You should also try to run the test_vtk.py script that is provided in
the MayaVi doc directory.  You'll run into an error at pretty much the
same point.

[snip: error message]

    JM> filename) TclError: couldn't load file
    JM> "libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.so": ld.so.1: /opt/bin/python:
    JM> fatal: relocation error: file
    JM> /opt/lib/libvtkRenderingPythonTkWidgets.so: symbol
    JM> Tcl_PkgProvide: referenced symbol not found [27883 refs]

This looks like a Tcl related problem and is unfamiliar territory for
me.  I'll make a few guesses:

 1. The version you compiled Python and Tkinter do not match with the
 version of Tcl/Tk used for VTK.

 2. This is related to the C++/C/Tcl/VTK issue that was recently
 encountered in the developers list.  This is possibly the most likely
 problem.

 http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2002-May/001536.html

 Please read the thread.  If this is the issue then you need to use
 the special vtkpython binary (that should be available in recent VTK
 and was recently disabled due to some trouble).  I'm not sure whats
 the current situation with the vtkpython binary.

Hope this helps,
prabhu