[vtkusers] Xlib: unexpected async reply

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 5 10:54:12 EDT 2002

On Jul 5, 10:30am, Carlos Martínez Burgos wrote:
> Subject: [vtkusers] Xlib: unexpected async reply
> Hi all.
>
> I have compiled VTK libraries with java wrappers and everything is ok on
> my desktop computer (with redhat linux). Then, I have copied the VTK tree
> (sources and binaries) from my computer to a laptop (with redhat too) and
> when I run my application I get an exception and my GUI frozes down. The
> message of the exception says "Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence
> 0xbd1)!"
>
> On the laptop I can run Mesa demos without problems, but I can't run my
> VTK program. Furthermore, I run SimpleVTK.java program and everything is
> ok too. Do you know why this problem happens? Could be a performance
> problem?
>
> Thanks.

Carlos,

For the (possible) root cause of this problem, rf:

  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part7/section-15.html

As to the solution, well, all I can say is that when I've got this error in the
past, it was due to my Java app calling a render method and not invoking the
"proper" render methods (with locks) provided by Jeff Lee in vtkPanel.java .
 Jeff, or someone else, would have to answer the question of which version of
VTK has the correct version of vtkPanel.java to handle this.

Good luck.

--Randy