[vtkusers] Computing curvature of a surface

Philipp.Batchelor philipp.batchelor at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 4 08:51:26 EDT 2002

Yes,

curvatures are extremely sensitive to triangulations, in particular the simple definition
that I use, but in any case, as a second order measure of the surface, it is dependent
on small bumps etc. It's one of the reasons I'd like to add some of the other more sophisticated
computations from the literature, but even then, the problem is more fundamental than which formula.
(Mathematically, a surface, and its smoothing might be close in C^0 topology, but very far in C^2
topology.)
An extreme example: an icosahedron has by definition the same curvatures everywhere
http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/p.batchelor/curvatures/icosa_H.jpg
but using the subdivision filter on the facets
http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/p.batchelor/curvatures/icosa_refined_H.jpg

We had similar problems (see the link to Andy's PhD), some suggestions based on past experience:
Basically, it requires a quite heavy postprocessing: of course, this is not really the answer to
your question
, as you want to compare the surface before and after postprocessing. It's interesting that the
decimation preserves maxima and minima.
--a very good smoothing is important for the curvatures to make sense. We used the Surface Evolver,
using it also to interactively change the triangulation until the number of triangles was roughly
what we wanted, the Evolver surface relaxation, and some other things available in Evolver.
--the Gauss Curvature scales like [1/m^2]=1/area, the mean like [1/m]=1/distance, so a global
scaling using surface areas (scaling chosen so that they have same surface area) can be useful.
--even after smoothing, the curvatures often still have this 'leopard' look. A good improvement came
by averaging the curvatures locally, by which I mean:
        curvature at vertex = average of curvatures at neighbouring vertex
repeated 2 or 3, up to 5 times. This widens the range over which the curvature is computed, and
makes quite good improvement. We decided on this as a simple way to tell the curvature to use 'next
to next' vertices for example.  A torus example:
http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/p.batchelor/curvatures/torus_notsmoothed_H.jpg
http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/p.batchelor/curvatures/torus_smoothed5_H.jpg
The visual appearance is more convincing, but this is sadly not the end of the story...

Ph

--
Dr Philippe Batchelor

phone: 	+44 207 955 4223