[vtkusers] Threading issues

Wed Jul 3 06:12:35 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to vtk and I've got some questions that I could'nt aswer myself
from the documentation:

We've got a huge file with CFD data and want to extract streamlines.
This is straightforward for the usual case, but I'm trying to speed
things up. Our machine is 72 processors shared memory system running
Solaris.

I thought it would be possible to use one vtkReader and attach its
output to multiple vtkStreamLine rendering pipelines' inputs, start a
thread for each pipeline and do an Update() on each. Well, I'm writing
to this list, because my program crashes at this point and I'm not
shure, what I can do about it.

Isn't the Update() mechanism thread-safe?
Are there issues with threading while constructing/connecting various
pipeline-parts at the same time?

Another question here is, how to deconstruct pipeline parts. To do
dynamic load balancing, I'd like to remove pipeline parts and put new
ones in. Just do a obsoleteItem->Delete() on them?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Mark