[vtkusers] Newbie install question

William R. Oliver oliver at afip.org
Wed Jan 23 14:47:05 EST 2002

Hi!  I've downloaded the VTK4 release onto my Linux box.

Configuration:

Compaq Presario 1200 laptop
Mandrake 8.2 Linux, 2.4 kernel

The tarball downloaded, compiled, and installed without a hitch,
or so I thought.  I made it *with* Tcl/Tk support.

Unfortunately, I'm running into a problem getting any
of the examples to run.  For instance, if I go to
the Examples/VolumeRendering/Tcl directory and try
to run the SimpleRayCast.tcl, I get:

> wish
%source SimpleRayCast.tcl
::vtk::load_component: vtkCommonTCL could not be found
can't find package vtkcommon

% puts $auto_path
/usr/local/lib/vtk /usr/local/lib/vtk/tcl /usr/lib/tcl8.3 /usr/lib/ /usr/lib/tk8.3

% exit

The problem seems to be in vtkcommon -- it finds, for instance,
package vtk (which it will not do if I don't put /usr/local/lib/vtk in
TCLLIBPATH).

When I look at /usr/local/lib/vtk/tcl/vtkcommon, I see

package require vtkbase

if {[info commands vtkObject] != "" ||
    [::vtk::load_component vtkCommonTCL] == ""}{
    package provide vtkcommon 4.0
}

Now, I notice that there *is* a libvtkCommonTCL.a in /usr/local/lib/vtk,
and /usr/local/lib/vtk is in my LD_LIBRARY_PATHS environment variable,
e.g:

> printenv | grep TCLLIBPATH
TCLLIBPATH = /usr/local/lib/vtk/tcl /usr/local/lib/vtk

> printenv | grep LD_LIB
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/root/adabas/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/vtk:/usr/local/lib/vtk/tcl

I know that in order to get the TCLLIBPATH to work I had to use spaces rather than
colons as the delimiter, and I habitually use colons.

Any hints?  What do I need to do to get it to load vtkCommonTCL?

Is this in any documentation anywhere?

Thanks!

billo

William R Oliver, MD