[vtkusers] Problem VTK4 + python 2.2

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Mon Jan 14 05:23:18 EST 2002

On Monday 14 January 2002 09:57, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> Ahh, I remember this one.  I had this happen to me long back.  IIRC,
> this happens when you have two copies of the VTK libraries accessible
> in different places and when a module is somehow imported twice.  In
> my situation I had built VTK with the libs in
> /skratch/prabhu/vtk/cvs/VTK/lib and I had also copied those libraries
> to another directory to make some binaries.  I had my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> set to the directory /skratch/prabhu/vtk/cvs/VTK/lib and even when I
> unset it and set it to the current directory (where I had copied the
> libs) I would get this ValueError exception.  What I finally needed to
> do was to change the name of the build directory from lib to lib1 (I
> just moved the lib dir to lib1) and things worked.  I think the
> problem is because the libvtk modules are being imported twice.  It
> was Gordon McMillan who suggested this possibility to me.

Great. It works now, using:

PYTHONPATH $HOME/software/vtk/VTK/Wrapping/Python:$HOME/software/vtk/k7/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH $HOME/software/vtk/k7/bin

I just wonder: is there a cleaner way? It is just a problem of my
configuration or the files in VTK/Wrapping/Python don't get installed by a
"make install"?

Regards