[vtkusers] Picking / Chemistry

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Jan 7 10:53:54 EST 2002

    PS> All, Can anyone point me to some examples (preferably in
    PS> Python) of the use of picking to interact with the visualised
    PS> objects. Is there a way to use anything like the rectangular
    PS> selection box use in drawing programs & powerpoint to
    PS> select/pick a range of objects at once?

There is a Tcl example in Examples/Annotation/Tcl/annotatePick.tcl the
older vtk 3.2 tree has a Python example.  Using a rubberband kind of
thing to pick is not possible right away but I guess you could write
your own Python code to do it.

    PS> I would be interested to hear of any projects that implement
    PS> chemical visualisation using Python/Vtk, especially if any of
    PS> the software concerned is freely available.

Check with Sebastien's links page
(http://vtk.barre.nom.fr/links.html).  You might find something
useful.  MayaVi (http://mayavi.sf.net) is written in Python and is
free but might not be useful for chemical visualization.

prabhu