[vtkusers] Replacement for RayBounder

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu Feb 28 00:37:50 EST 2002

Hello Jainlong and David (and anyone else out there who misses the ray
bounder),

Can you tell me how you are/were using this class? When I last revised the
ray caster (maybe a year ago?) I sent email to the list asking if anyone was
using the ray bounder, and I received only one reply (from Bill Lorensen).
Since it required an overhall, no one seemed to be using it, and the
functionality was not available for the other volume mappers, I removed it.

The ray bounder can only (correctly) be used to bound the volume with a
convex object. Are you using a few simple objects (such as a sphere and a
cone) or are you using general convex polyherdron? Or are you using it for
an entirely different purpose?

If possible, I would like to avoid putting the ray bounder back in, and
instead "replace" it with something that can be provided in all volume
mappers.

Lisa