[vtkusers] Building VTK for XDarwin

Marcel Prastawa prastawa at cs.unc.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:33:08 EST 2002

On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, at 01:12 , Robb Brown wrote:
> Thanks, this worked perfectly.  Marcel is right though -- it is very slow.
>   Why is this?  Is it an XDarwin issue or something wrong with X in
> general?

It's a problem with the XFree86 server for Darwin/OS X. It currently only
supports software rendering, so it does not take any advantage of your
video card's abilities. The commercial X servers (ex: Tenon) supports
hardware accelerated OpenGL, but it's rather unstable.

> What is the current state of the art in OSX VTK graphical interfaces?
> There is a version of Tk for OSX (Quartz) now and Python has been made to
> (at least somewhat) work with it.  Has anybody gotten the VTK-Python-Tk
> combination to work?

Tkinter on Quartz is still unstable. I am using the VTK-Python-Tk combo on
OS X by running Tk on X-Windows and VTK on Quartz. You'll need separate
windows for the GUI and the VTK display with this setup. It's not the best
solution, but it works OK.

Marcel