[vtkusers] Building VTK for XDarwin

Marcel Prastawa prastawa at cs.unc.edu
Tue Feb 26 20:07:42 EST 2002

Robert Brown wrote:
> I get an error building VTK for XDarwin -- ld: Undefined symbols:

[snip]

> Compiling for Quartz works fine, but not X.  Any suggestions?

Robert,

You need to make sure that you are not linking against Apple's OpenGL
library and link to /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.dylib instead.

If I recall correctly, I needed to modify several files in the Rendering
directory. In CMakeLists.txt you may need to add vtkXOpenGL... in the
APPLE section. Also, in some of the source files, you need to change
#include <OpenGL/gl.h> to #include <GL/gl.h> inside the #ifdef __APPLE__
blocks.

I did this quite some time ago, so all this may not apply to the current
version. If you are interested, I have the 4.0 binaries for XDarwin ( a
bit old). One warning though, VTK on XDarwin is slow (no hardware
acceleration).

Marcel